Prenatal massage is therapeutic bodywork that focuses on the special needs of the mother-to-be as her body goes through the dramatic changes during pregnancy. It enhances the muscles and joints, improves circulation and general body tone, and relieves mental and physical fatigue. A gentle prenatal massage can ease discomfort associated with pregnancy, help the mother-to-be prepare for labor and give her nurturing emotional support.
Prenatal massage offers several benefits:
- Eases stress on weight-bearing joints
- Helps in remedying many of the common discomforts experienced during pregnancy
- Enhances blood circulation, which provides more oxygen and nutrients to both mother and fetus
- Stabilizes hormonal levels and helps relieve depression or anxiety caused by hormonal changes
- Soothes and relaxes the nervous system by releasing endorphins into the mother’s body
- Contributes to good posture and adjusting to a changing alignment caused by the baby’s increasing weight. Massage increases muscle tone and flexibility, enhancing the ability to carry this extra weight while also relieving aches and pains, leg cramps and muscle spasms
Postnatal massage is important too. It helps with relaxation, body pains from delivery, improves blood circulation, milk production, tightening of the muscles, weight loss, and reducing stretch marks.
After delivery, especially c-section, the body does need time to recover. Till the stitches heal, it’s best to postpone your massage.